Tuesday, January 17, 2012
When I gave myself a newspaper mani last week and posted it on instagram, lots of people asked for a tutorial. It’s amazingly easy to do and this trend has been around for a while but I never got around to doing it. So here’s a short tutorial on what to do and how to achieve this effect:
What you need:
Base coat (I used OPI’s Natural Nail Base Coat)
Base colour (Essie’s Playa Del Platinum, a gorgeous khaki colour that looks quite newspapery but you can use any light colour as a base.)
Top coat (Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat)
Newspaper (The type where the ink is likely to get your hands dirty and not the nice glossy supplements)
Small container (I used the lid of the rubbing alcohol bottle)
1. Apply the base coat and colour onto your nails. I recommend applying a thicker base colour as the rubbing alcohol dilutes the polish in later steps.
2. Wait for the polish to dry completely
3. Cut 10 small strips of newspaper (for short nails, that means about four lines of text each)
4. Pour some rubbing alcohol into your container
5. Dip the newspaper into the alcohol (most tutorials recommend dipping your fingers into the alcohol but I’ve found that it dries my hands out and doing it this way is just as effective.)
6. Press the newspaper strip firmly onto your nail for 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat for each nail.
7. Add a layer of top coat to seal the print.
Easy peasy right?