Wednesday, January 23, 2013
I never quite understood the hype of 50 Shades of Grey (Gray?). I tried reading the book and after one or two cringe-worthy chapters, I really just had to give up. However, I may be tempted to read the book again now that I’ve discovered 50 Shades of Chicken. A parody, this book offers 50 recipes while providing a narrative that includes snippets like “I’m closest with the enormous ham, even though she’s so much cooler than I am. She hogs the shelf, but she’s my nearest, dearest friend. She’s piquant, smoky, salty, pigheaded, bodacious and always seems to know what’s cooking. She’ll make an exceptional holiday dinner.” Just reading this gave me a chuckle. A ham that hogs the shelf and is pigheaded! That sentence alone is miles better that the book that somehow has captured the imagination of millions. It provides recipes like Mustard-Spanked Chicken, Erect Chicken and Dripping Thighs . Talk about the ultimate food porn.
It even comes with a trailer! Check it out below.
Available at Eslite for about HK$150
Click on for the Mustard-Spanked Chicken recipe
• 1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) chicken, patted dry with paper towels
• 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, plus more to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Rub the chicken all over, including the cavity, with the salt and pepper.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the mustard, basil, and garlic and slap it hard onto the bird everywhere you just rubbed the salt and pepper. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 1 hour so it can recover.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a rack in a roasting pan.
4. Carefully lay the bird on the rack, breast side down. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Roast for 30 minutes. Thrust a wooden spoon into the chicken cavity and flip the bird over so the breasts are up; drizzle with the remaining oil. Continue to roast until the bird is golden brown and quite done, about 30 to 40 minutes longer.